by Pam Brandon, Food Writer, Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort
Artist Point celebrates the flavors and wines of the Pacific Northwest, and this seasonal sweet fits right in. The beautiful dining room, inspired by grandiose, historic national park lodges is the perfect setting for fall’s flavors, like roasted fall squash soup, butter-poached wild halibut, crispy Brussels sprouts and this pumpkin shake served with housemade almond butter cookies.
But if you can’t make it to the restaurant (407-WDW-DINE), here’s the recipe to make at home. You’ll need an ice-cream maker and a little time. But the creamy shake is worth the effort. And you can always skip the shakes and just savor the silky ice cream with a slice of pumpkin pie on Turkey Day.
Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 1 cup canned or fresh pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon bourbon whiskey
- 3 cups Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, plus more, if needed
For pumpkin ice cream:
- Whisk pumpkin and vanilla in a small bowl until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup heavy cream, ginger, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a bowl, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Whisk over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until bubbles form around edge of pan. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk 1/2 cup of warm cream and sugar into egg mixture until smooth. Pour egg mixture into saucepan with cream and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes, or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, but not boiling.
- Strain custard through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Place bowl in an ice bath and stir to cool. Whisk pumpkin mixture into custard. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly to top of custard. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add bourbon during the last minute of churning. Store covered in freezer until ready to serve.
- Place ice cream and heavy cream in a blender. Blend on medium speed until smooth, adding additional heavy cream if milkshakes are too thick.
- Pour into glasses and serve.
What are you waiting for? Let’s start planning your visit to Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland Paris, Disney's Hilton Head Island, Disney Vero Beach Resort or any other Disney Destination! Click below for a FREE, no obligation quote with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner. We offer rate monitoring to ensure you are receiving the best available rate offered by Disney and our services are 100% FREE!
For our new Guests: Check us out on:
Facebook FAN PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/VacationwiththeMagic
Start planning your Disney Vacation Today!